How to Set Up and Use CAPI on Facebook: A Step-by-Step Guide
Ideally, Facebook allows advertisers and marketers to check their ad campaigns and performance. After all, it is one of the best platforms where businesses can earn higher revenues and acquire more customers. Until now, Facebook users relied on Pixel to track their actions, study their behaviour, and acquire campaign data.
But Pixel has its limitations. First, it needs to be run on the client side, rendering the system extremely slow. Besides, it posed threats in relation to privacy, responsiveness, and compatibility. This is where the concept of using an API comes into play. In this following discussion, we have highlighted CAPI and its importance in Facebook advertisements and data analytics.
What is CAPI?
Facebook has introduced its latest Conversion API, which is also termed the server-side API. It allows marketers to send web events directly to Facebook’s browser pixels directly from the servers in question. CAPI manages data security and users’ confidential information at the top level throughout the process.
The Conversion API eliminates the dependency on any third-party software called the cookies. So, there will be no intermediatory data storage elsewhere, risking overall privacy and data security.
Importance of using CAPI
Before you use the Conversion API from Facebook, study the advantages you can leverage in the future.
- Since the web events will be triggered and sent from the server, there won’t be any ad blocker in between. So, the chances of your advertisements failing to meet the expected traffic will be much less.
- User tracking becomes less complicated with the reduced dependency on cookies for storing user information and sending requests.
- Conversion API has made protecting data easier and ensuring no user information is compromised.
- You will have complete control over the data you share and receive, which is one of the plus points.
- Once paired with Pixel, you will have the added advantage of introducing accuracy in data tracking and analysis.
How does it work on Facebook?
Many people consider the working of Conversion API to be challenging to understand and master. But that’s not the truth!
If you are confused, read below to clarify your doubts and understand it’s working correctly.
- Let’s say your website has the Facebook Pixels integrated with the site’s HTML script. This ensures that all the first-party data from the user end can be collected in the cookies.
- Once a user visits the website, the server updates all datasets to the cookies. The primary attributes that will get stored are user name, IP address, Google Analytics client_id, and many more such details.
- Let’s assume the user triggers a web event, like commenting on a blog post or adding a product to the cart. Once done, the server will generate a request with the user and event details and send it directly to the Facebook server.
How to set up the Facebook Conversion API?
Before setting up Conversion API with Facebook, you must meet the following prerequisites.
- Facebook Pixel integrated with the website
- Meta Business Manager
- Specialized Facebook Application
Now, there are two ways in which you can set up Facebook Conversion API with your website. These are Partner integration and Manual integration. Below, we have discussed both steps in detail to help you in this endeavor.
As the name suggests, the manual integration process of the Conversion API will need coding expertise. Below is a brief of how the process flows.
- Click on Add Events and select the option for Using The Conversions API.
- After this, you need to install the codes manually.
- Once done, click on Continue.
- A list of events to be tracked will be displayed. From here, select the one you want to track and click on Continue.
- You also need to set the tracking parameters and again click on Continue.
- Navigate and click the button for Confirm Setup. After this, you need to select Send Instructions.
- Enter the email address and then sent it.
- Navigate to Events Manager and then to the Data Sources tab.
- Click on the Settings option.
- Scroll down the page and click on Conversion API.
- You will see an option for “Set Up Through Partner Integration.”
- Here, you need to click on Choose a Partner.
- A list of provider options will be there from which you must choose the most suitable one.
What Event can we set up through CAPI?
You can set up numerous events with the help of Conversion API. These are:
- Leads: If any user is converted to a lead, you will get notified and track the same through CAPI.
- Affiliate payments: Any payment processed for the affiliates associated with your business will be tracked using Facebook Conversion API.
- Phone Calls: If you receive phone calls from the users, all the details will be generated in reports, helping you track your executives’ performance.
- Purchases: If people buy products from your business through Facebook, you can check the user and product details, the amount paid, and more through the CAPI.
- Subscription changes: Any change request for the subscription plan will get tracked through the Facebook Conversion API.
- Email subscriptions: If six users subscribe to your business with the help of email, you can track their details through the Conversion API.
In which Platforms is CAPI integrated?
Some of the major platforms that you can connect with the Facebook server through CAPI are:
This article discussed Conversion API in Facebook and how it provides leverage for event tracking, data privacy, and accurate tracking data. You can set up the CAPI either manually or through the partner platform. Once done, you can choose from a myriad of event options you can track.